Community Food Advisors
The Community Food Advisor program provides reliable information and education on safe and nutritious food selection, preparation and storage practices to consumers in Niagara.
Our Community Food Advisors are dynamic volunteers who promote healthy eating and food safety as part of a healthy lifestyle.
Volunteer to become a Community Food Advisor with Public Health.
Request a Community Food Advisor Presentation
Community Food Advisors provide presentations and educational sessions to community groups, schools, workplaces and community organizations.
We offer the following presentations free free-of-charge.
Healthy Eating Basics Part 1
Participants will build knowledge and skills needed to understand what are the basics of healthy eating. Discussion will include:
- The meaning and benefits of healthy eating
- The design of Canada's Food Guide and how it groups foods
- Making healthy food choices, with focus on fats, salt, sugar and fibre
Healthy Eating Basics Part 2
Participants will build knowledge and skills on how to put the basics of healthy eating into action. Discussion will include:
- Serving sizes and how much to eat from each food group for different age groups
- How to follow healthy eating advice through dividing up amounts of food on a plate
- Local food, and reliable sources of healthy eating information
Quick and Easy Meals
Participants will build knowledge and skills needed to plan and prepare healthy, quick and easy meals. Discussion will include:
- Usefulness of planning meals based on Canada's Food Guide
- Time-saving strategies and stocking a basic pantry
- Tools, techniques and meal ideas
Vegetables and Fruits
Participants will build knowledge and skills for eating more vegetables and fruits. Discussion will include:
- Benefits of eating recommended amounts
- Overcoming barriers such as cost and time
- Selecting / buying, storing, preparing / cooking, and dining / take-out
Presentation requests must be submitted 6 weeks prior to the date required in order to coordinate with our volunteers. Presentations are dependent upon volunteer availability.