Food Handler Certification Course

The nine hour course is taught in three sessions based on the principles of sanitary food service and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point procedures.

Participants are required to achieve a mark of 70% or above to pass the exam and become certified.

Participants must show photo identification before writing the exam.


  • Public health legislation and the local health department
  • Understanding foodborne illness (food poisoning)
  • Safe food handling
  • The importance of personal hygiene
  • Food premises sanitation

The course is taught in English with a classroom format.

Five Year Certification

Upon passing the exam, a Safe Food Handling Certificate is issued, which is valid for five years.

After five years, you can re-certify by taking the exam again. You do not need to re-take this course.

This certificate meets the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care food safety training requirements and is recognized by health units throughout Ontario.

There is a $10 charge for replacement certificates.

Course Registration and Cost

Cost: $50 per person (includes manual, exam and certificate)

To register, complete the following two steps:

  • Step 1: Call or email us at 905-688-8248 ext. 7121 or 1-888-505-6074
  • Step 2: Call 905-688-8248 ext. 7121 or 1-888-505-6074 to arrange payment method

Important: you are not fully registered for a course by submitting the email form only. Payment must be received in order to complete your registration.

Payments Accepted

Cash, cheque, debit, VISA, MasterCard®

Make cheque payable to "Niagara Region Public Health".

Upcoming Course Dates

Attendance for all three sessions is crucial.

We do not post address locations, as you cannot show up without registering in advance. When you register, we provide the address.

ThoroldNovember 8, 15, 22, 20166 p.m. - 9 p.m.
WellandNovember 9, 16, 23, 20169 a.m. - 12 noon
ThoroldNovember 30, December 7, 14, 20169 a.m. - 12 noon

Cancellation / Rescheduling Policy

Full refunds are only given when notice is given 48 hours prior to the first session.

Other Food Certification Courses

For a list of food safety training courses that are considered equivalent to Niagara Region's Food Handler Certification course, visit the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

Did you find what you were looking for today?