Understanding your Social Assistance Cheque

Direct Bank Deposit Statement or Cheque

You are encouraged to establish a Direct Banking Deposit plan, which automatically deposits your money into your bank account. To take part, you must have a bank account, fill in a form, attach a "void" cheque and / or a photocopy of your account passbook. Your casemanager can help you set this up. You will receive a Statement in the mail that will show how much money was deposited into your bank account.

If you do not have a bank account, your cheque will be mailed to you. Your cheque may be cashed at the financial institute of your choice.

Statement of Assistance

The statement will show the breakdown of your payment - your gross assistance amount and any deductions.

The Statement of Assistance can be used to access community benefits, such as food banks or subsidies for housing, transit and recreation.

Your statement can also be used by individuals in receipt of social assistance to access health related services and benefits, if they do not have an Ontario Health care of other government ID.

Income Reporting Statement

As an Ontario Works participant, you may be required to complete and submit an income reporting statement each month. Speak with your Casemanager about your particular situation and income reporting requirements.

Page Feedback Did you find what you were looking for today?