COVID-19 - As of Jan. 14, a stay at home order is in effect. See restrictions and public health measures. Get updates on COVID-19 and learn about service disruptions.

Ontario Works

There are no disruptions to social assistance payments. Learn about payments for Ontario Works clients during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Niagara Region's social assistance and employment opportunities delivers the provincial social assistance program, Ontario Works.

Ontario Works has two key components to support you:


To be eligible for Ontario Works, you must be:

  • A resident of Ontario
  • In immediate financial need
  • Willing to participate in activities that will help you find a job

Ontario Works will assess your eligibility criteria to determine if you qualify.

Applying for Social Assistance

Apply Online  or call 905-641-9230 or 1-866-627-1110 (from West Niagara)

If you are Currently on Ontario Works

The Ontario Works program balances your needs as a participant with your individual responsibility.

If you are on Ontario Works, you must take part in activities that will help you gain employment. You will also be required to adhere to certain rules and regulations regarding your income support.

You and your family may also be eligible for discretionary benefits, health and employment benefits.


If you have received Ontario Works benefits and have been overpaid, you will receive a letter identifying the amount that you were overpaid and are required to pay back.

If you are currently on Ontario Works, a percentage is deducted from your monthly entitlement and continues on a monthly basis as long as you remain on social assistance. If you have a question regarding an overpayment on an active case, call your Casemanager directly.

If you are not currently on Ontario Works, contact us to make arrangements for payment by:

  • Calling 905-641-9960, ext. 6143 to discuss payment options. If you are leaving a message: include your name, phone number and current address, we will respond within 24 hours.
  • Visiting your local Community Service office to pay by cash, cheque or debit
Page Feedback Did you find what you were looking for today?