Learning, Earning and Parenting (LEAP) Program
This program helps young parents who are receiving social assistance:
- Finish high school
- Develop parenting skills that promote healthy child development
- Develop employment related skills to get a job and become financially independent
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Be a parent 25 years of age or younger
- Be receiving social assistance (Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support)
- Have not completed high school
This program is:
- Mandatory for parents 16 to 17 years of age
- Voluntary for parents 18 to 25 years of age
We will cover part or all expenses related to:
- Educational trips
- Graduation fees
- Recreational activity fees
- School supplies and clothing
Free child care
Niagara Region supports children from birth to 12 years of age and their families by providing a range of services offered across Niagara, including supports for children with special needs.
A single appointment with a casemanager will determine your eligibility for both Ontario Works and placement in a subsidized licensed child care space while participating in activities.
Each participant will get $500 when they complete secondary school and at least 35 hours of approved parenting activities.
This incentive is an investment towards further education and training for either the parent or the child.
How to apply
- Contact your casemanager if you are on Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support
- Call social assistance and employment opportunities at 905-641-9960 ext. 6028 (1-866-627-1110 for West Niagara)