Ontario Works Income Programs

Social assistance programs help residents who are in financial need by providing money for basic needs such as food, clothing and shelter. The province has two social assistance programs: Ontario Works and the Ontario Disability Support Program.

Ontario Works

Ontario Works is administered by Social Assistance and Employment Opportunities at Niagara Region and available to eligible residents.

Family Support Program

The Family Support Program can help you as an Ontario Works participant to obtain the support that you are legally entitled to receive under the Family Law Act, including child and spousal support.

Emergency Assistance

Emergency assistance is available to you if you are not in receipt of social assistance to help you address issues that are detrimental to your health and well-being or to that of a member of your family. Emergency assistance allows for immediate financial help in a crisis or emergency situation. This may include money for basic needs, shelter and benefits at the discretion of the local Administrator of the Ontario Works Act.

Temporary Care Assistance for Children

If you are looking after a child in need of financial help and you are not the child's birth or adoptive parent, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance called Temporary Care Assistance. Eligibility is based on the income and assets of the child, not your financial circumstances.

Ontario Disability Support Program

The Ontario Disability Support Program provides financial help for individuals with disabilities and is delivered by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, not by Niagara Region.

Ontario Child Benefit

The Ontario Child Benefit offers financial assistance for low-income families to help you with the cost of raising your child (ren). Your eligibility is based on the number of children under age 18 in your family and your family net income. The Province of Ontario is responsible for this benefit.

Page Feedback Did you find what you were looking for today?