Emergency assistance is available to you if you are not in receipt of social assistance to help you address issues that are detrimental to your health and well-being or to that of a member of your family. Emergency assistance allows for immediate financial help in a crisis or emergency situation. This may include money for basic needs, shelter and benefits at the discretion of the local Administrator of the Ontario Works Act.
To be eligible:
- you must not currently be receiving social assistance
- you must not be serving a period of ineligibility
- you must have made reasonable effort to access all other available resources such as income, assets, investments, lines of credit, help from family, friends and agencies
- your physical health or that of a family member will be in danger without the emergency assistance or at least one of your dependent children will be unable to continue to live with you
- you have not received emergency assistance in the last six months
Accessing Emergency Assistance
Call 905-641-9230 or 1-866-627-1110 (from West Niagara) or by visiting your local Community Services office.