Discretionary Housing Stability Benefits

Niagara Region can help to cover overdue rent payments or last month's rent.


Niagara residents receiving Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program benefits.

This benefit may be considered if you're homeless, in an emergency shelter, or moving due to:

  • Family violence
  • Incapacity or death of a supporting caregiver or family member
  • Overcrowding
  • Employment or training opportunities
  • A move to more affordable accommodations
  • Eviction
  • Uninhabitable premises where there is risk to health and safety
  • Significant personal health issues
  • Discharge from institutions, such as correctional facilities, hospitals, long-term care homes, interval and transition homes


  • Individuals or couples are eligible for a maximum of $900 once every 24 months
  • Families with children are eligible for a maximum of $1600 once every 24 months

Application process

Requests for Housing Stability Benefits must be:

  • Approved before you pay to secure or maintain housing
  • Received no later than 30 days after your moving date

What you will need to apply

To complete the application, you will need:

Last month's rent

  • Verification of your new address
  • Landlord contact information

Rental arrears

  • Written verification of pending eviction
  • Verification of rental/mortgage arrears owed

After applying, a staff member will contact you to review your application.

Apply online for benefits

The Discretionary Benefits Portal is a fast, easy and secure way to apply online for housing stability benefits. You can apply anytime, anywhere and on any device.

To register, you must have a valid email address. Once registered, you can:

  • Track the status of all your current and past applications
  • Upload documents needed for your application
  • Get automatic email updates on your application status
  • See details about missing information or eligibility decisions
  • Apply for multiple items in one application

Apply for housing stability benefits

Other ways to apply

If you can't apply online, there's other ways you can apply.

  • Call 905-641-9960 ext. 6072
  • Fax your application to 905-984-8760
  • Mail your application to the Ontario Works Discretionary Benefit Team at 234 Bunting Rd., St. Catharines, L2R 6Z4

If you're receiving Ontario Works benefits, contact your casemanager directly to request housing stability benefits.

Page Feedback Did you find what you were looking for today?