Regional Holiday Hours - December 2023 to January 2024
All essential services provided by Niagara Region are available through the holiday season. However, most Niagara Region offices and facilities are closed on Dec. 25, 26, 27 and Jan. 1, 2, including:
- Administrative offices
- Child care centres
- Public health
- Sexual health clinics
- Provincial Offences Court
Garbage, recycling and organics collection
There will be no collection on Dec. 25 (Christmas Day) or Jan. 1 (New Year's Day). Collection will be delayed by one day during those weeks.
If your property is an industrial, commercial, institutional or mixed-use building within a Designated Business Area that receives collection on Monday, only your Monday collection day will be delayed by one day.
- Thorold Designated Business Area: Monday (Dec. 25 and Jan. 1) collection shifts to Tuesday collection. Wednesday and Friday collection remains as scheduled.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Designated Business Area: Monday (Dec. 25 and Jan. 1) collection shifts to Tuesday collection. Thursday and Saturday collection remains as scheduled.
- Collection will be delayed by one day in the Fort Erie, Lincoln, Pelham, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne, Welland and Port Dalhousie (St. Catharines) Designated Business Areas
- There are no collection day changes in the West Lincoln, Grimsby and the rest of St. Catharines Designated Business Areas
Holiday garbage exemptions
In the weeks following Christmas Day and New Year's Day, households may put out two extra bags or cans of garbage without a garbage tag on their regular collection day.
- Dec. 26 - 29: Fort Erie, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Pelham, St. Catharines, Thorold, Wainfleet and West Lincoln
- Jan. 2 - 5: Grimsby, Lincoln, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne and Welland
Christmas tree collection - Jan. 8 - 12
Christmas tree collection is on your regular collection day during the week of Jan. 8 - 12.
Trees must be at the curb by 7 a.m. with all ornaments and decorations removed. Trees wrapped in plastic or buried in snow will not be collected. No artificial trees.
Landfill / residential waste and recycling drop-off depots
All Niagara Region landfills and residential waste and recycling drop-off depots will be closed on Dec. 25 (Christmas Day) and Jan. 1 (New Year's Day). Statutory holiday hours will be in effect on Dec. 26 (Boxing Day).
|Location||Tuesday, Dec. 26|
|Niagara Road 12 Landfill and Drop-off Depot (West Lincoln)||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Bridge Street Drop-off Depot (Fort Erie)||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Humberstone Landfill and Drop-off Depot (Welland)||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Thorold Yard Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Depot (Thorold)||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
Visit Walker Industries for their holiday hours.