Join the 1DayStand for a smoke-free Brock campus
Today, students and staff at numerous post-secondary campuses across Ontario are speaking up, taking action and encouraging their campus to become part of the smoke-free movement. In support, Niagara Region Public Health, third-year Brock University Health Sciences students, and Leave The Pack Behind (LTPB) are hosting a 1DayStand event at Brock University to raise awareness about the benefits of a smoke-free campus, provide resources for smokers who want to quit, and to collect signatures in support of a smoke-free campus policy. The event takes place between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. in Thistle Hallway, close to the Market stairs.
Post-secondary campuses offer a unique opportunity to protect campus communities from exposure to second-hand smoke through a smoke-free campus policy. The 1DayStand event seeks to start a conversation that could end in a healthier campus for all by:
- Encouraging students who use tobacco to quit for the day, with an aim to quit for good
- Getting students’ opinions towards tobacco use on campus
- Raising awareness of the benefits of smoke-free campus policies
- Promoting the adoption of permanent smoke-free policies
Everyone has the right to breathe clean air where they live, work, study and play. Research from LTPB shows that:
- Students are targeted by the tobacco industry
- Addressing tobacco use will not only save lives but also the planet through positive environmental impact
- Tobacco-free policies decrease costs for schools without impacting enrollment
LTPB is a tobacco control program funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care that offers free, proven quit-smoking resources created specifically for young adults 18 – 29 years of age. LTPB operates on all post-secondary campuses and in the community.
Visit LTPB for more information on smoke-free campuses.
Niagara Region Public Health
905-688-8248 ext. 7303
Share this article: Facebook | Twitter