Niagara confirms three new cases of COVID-19
Niagara Region Public Health and Emergency Services is investigating three new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing Niagara’s total to seven cases. All cases are travel-related. All three cases had a different date of onset of illness.
Case #5 is a female in her twenties with a travel history to the United States.
Case #6 is a male in his forties with a travel history to the Unites States.
Case #7 is a male in his sixties with a travel history to the Philippines.
All patients are recovering at home in self-isolation, and Public Health is following up with all identified contacts.
“While we are not yet seeing local circulation of the virus, community transmission has occurred elsewhere in Ontario,” said Dr. Mustafa Hirji, medical officer of health (acting), Niagara Region Public Health and Emergency Services. “Residents, especially seniors and those with underlying health conditions are encouraged to avoid any non-essential trips into the community.”
Contact Niagara Region Public Health and Emergency Services by calling 905-688-8248 ext. 7019 or toll-free 1-888-505-6074 if you have a fever, or new cough, or shortness of breath and difficulty breathing, and any of the following:
- Travelled outside of Canada in the 14 days before onset of illness
- Close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19
- Close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who travelled to affected areas within 14 days prior to their illness onset
The best way to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including COVID-19 is to
- Avoid all non-essential travel, as recommended by Provincial and Federal health authorities
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or with alcohol-based hand rub
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary close interaction with others (e.g. shaking hands, deferring events)
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve
- Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces daily. Use a disinfectant and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Call ahead if visiting your health care provider for infectious symptoms so they can plan to protect others from spread
As this is an evolving situation, we continue to remind everyone the importance of using credible sources to stay informed. We update our website frequently as new information is confirmed. We encourage all Niagara residents to visit our Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage.
Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.
Niagara Region Public Health
905-688-8248 ext. 7476
Share this article: Facebook | Twitter