Additional measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19
As the COVID-19 situation continues to rapidly evolve, and to ensure consistency with the Government of Canada and Government of Ontario, Niagara Region Public Health reiterates the following measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the region.
Recommendations from the province as of March 17, 2020:
- Avoid large gatherings over 50 people
Closure of the following settings as soon as possible:
- All facilities providing indoor recreational programs
- All public libraries
- All private schools as defined in the Education Act
- All licensed child care centres
- All bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout food and delivery
- All theatres including those offering live performances of music, dance, and other art forms, as well as cinemas that show movies
- Concert venues
Full details can be found in the media release from the Office of the Premier of Ontario.
Announcements such as these understandably can generate a sense of panic or crisis. It is important to remember that over 80 per cent of COVID-19 illness is mild, and that we can continue with our essential daily activities as much as possible within these new limitations, and taking some reasonable precautions as outlined below.
Contact Niagara Region Public Health and Emergency Services by calling 905-688-8248 ext. 7019 or toll-free 1-888-505-6074 if you have a fever, or new cough, or shortness of breath and difficulty breathing, and any of the following:
- Travelled outside of Canada in the 14 days before onset of illness
- Close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19
- Close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who travelled to affected areas within 14 days prior to their illness onset
The best way to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including COVID-19 is to:
- Avoid all non-essential international travel, as recommended by Provincial and Federal health authorities
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or with alcohol-based hand rub
- Practice social distancing by avoiding unnecessary close interaction with others (e.g. shaking hands, deferring events)
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve
- Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces daily. Use a disinfectant and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Call ahead if visiting your health care provider for infectious symptoms so they can plan to protect others from spread
We continue to recommend that Niagara residents practice social distancing measures:
- Minimize close contact - keep 1-2 metres apart
- Limit non-essential trips into the community
- Postpone or cancel gatherings
As this is an evolving situation, we continue to remind everyone the importance of using credible sources to stay informed. We update our website frequently as new information is confirmed. We encourage all Niagara residents to visit our Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage.
Niagara Region Public Health
905-688-8248 ext. 7476
Share this article: Facebook | Twitter