Reducing Combined Sewer Overflows
There are many easy things residents can do to help reduce sewer overflows in Niagara.
Here are some suggestions:
- Avoid flushing toilets, or running dishwashers/washing machines during heavy rainfall or snow melt
- Wash your car at a commercial car wash where the water is often recycled before being released into the sewers
- Wash your car at home over grass or gravel with a biodegradable soap to allow water to drain into the ground
- Disconnect your downspouts from the sewer system and let water run onto your lawn
- Use a rain barrel to collect rainwater from your downspouts. This water can be used to water your plants and grass
- Install low flush toilets to reduce water consumption and sewer overflows
Your efforts, along with the work being done by the Region and your municipality, will help ensure combined sewer overflows in Niagara are kept to a minimum.
The proper management of overflows will greatly reduce the potential risk to human health and the environment.