Application Guidelines for Food Vendors
It is the responsibility of each Special Event Food Vendor to be in full compliance with the following requirements. Failure to comply will result in Public Health's refusal to allow operations or lead to enforcement actions.
Vendors will be contacted by public health via email or phone prior to the event to review set up and food being brought to the event. Ensure you have provided the event coordinator with your up to date email address and phone number for contact.
Food Safety Requirements
- All foods must come from approved and inspected sources
- No home prepared food is allowed to be sold or distributed
- If serving soft serve ice cream, a copy of the sampling report must be provided
- Foods must be protected from contamination and stored in food-grade containers
- Raw meats must be kept separate from cooked meats, vegetables or any ready-to-eat foods
- Food and food supplies must be raised 15cm (6 inches) off the ground
- Food on display must have sneeze guard or other protective covering
- Hazardous foods must be transported at 4°C (40°F) or lower for cold held foods, or 60°C (140°F) or higher for hot held foods
- Mechanically refrigerated vehicles are required. Transportation of hazardous foods packed in coolers with ice needs approval from Public Health.
- Foods are to be covered, wrapped or sealed during transportation
- Mechanical refrigeration is required onsite and must hold hazardous foods below 4°C (40°F)
- Coolers with ice can only be used if mechanical refrigeration is also provided
- Internal thermometers must be present in all refrigerators and coolers
Cooking and Hot Holding
- Store hot foods at 60°C (140°F) or higher
- Use probe thermometer to monitor temperatures
- Hazardous foods must be cooked to the appropriate temperatures for a minimum of 15 seconds
Utensil Wash and Sanitizing Surfaces
- A two compartment sink or two containers must be available to wash, rinse and submerge utensils in sanitizer
- Potable water, soap and sanitizer must be onsite at all times
- Bring multiple sets of utensils
- Wiping cloths must be stored in sanitizer buckets or disposable cloths with spray bottles. Sanitizer can be made by mixing 1tsp bleach to 1L water.
- Probe thermometer must be onsite to check cooking, hot holding, re-heating and refrigeration temperatures
Temporary Hand Wash Station
- All water must come from a potable source
- Potable water must be available onsite for all food vendors
- Garbage containers with lids must be provided
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water before handling food, after handling money or raw meats and after each break
- Food handlers must not work if they are ill
- Food handlers must wear clean clothing and hair restraints
- Do not smoke in the food preparation area
- Single serving utensils, squeeze bottles or individual serving portions only
- Samples must be kept covered and protected from cross-contamination (such as sneeze guard)
- No bare-hand contact is allowed
- Any hazardous products must be kept mechanically refrigerated
- Small sampling dispensers that would allow for frequent turnover/refills can be held submerged in ice baths
A public health inspector may be onsite during the event to conduct an inspection of the food vendors' booth.