Adult bed bug size
Due to widespread travel and limited pesticide uses now in effect, almost every city in the world has bed bugs.
Adult bed bugs can reach up to five millimetres long, or the height of three stacked pennies.
You can identify if you have bed bugs in the following ways:
- Check the mattress seams, box spring and bed frame
- Look in cracks and crevices around your furniture and baseboards
- Itchy welts on your body - often in groups of three
Talk to your landlord, building manager, or a pest control professional to confirm you have bed bugs.
Preventing Bed Bugs
Some ways to prevent bed bugs include the following:
- Regular inspections
- Vacuum your mattress often
- Remove clutter
- Wash your clothing, sheets, blankets, pillows, and mattress pads
- Seal cracks and crevices in bed frames, floors, walls and baseboards with caulking
- Inspect furniture or clothes before buying
- Never bring discarded upholstered furniture or electronics into your home
- Inspect your luggage when returning from a trip
- Repair or remove peeling wallpaper
Speak With a Public Health Inspector
For information about bed bugs, call the Environmental Health Division at 905-688-8248 ext. 7269 or 1-888-505-6074.
Learn about bed bugs, infestations and removal.