Wainfleet Community Response Unit and Paramedic Program
Niagara EMS provides a Community Response Unit (CRU) in the Township of Wainfleet.
The CRU has two purposes:
- To respond to all emergency medical 9-1-1 calls as a first response unit while an ambulance is on the way
- To provide an additional health resource to the Township of Wainfleet. This is called the Community Paramedic Program.
Community Paramedic Program
An advanced care paramedic, also referred to as a community paramedic, is available to provide home visits and complete general wellness assessments to any resident in the Township of Wainfleet who has health concerns.
A home visit may include:
- Learning about the client's health concerns
- Taking a set of vital signs which consists of checking pulse rate, breathing rate, temperature, and blood pressure checks
- Performing more advanced tests based on the client’s main health concern (such as blood sugar checks and ECG)
- Performing a medical risk assessment for clients who may not feel safe at home. This assessment may result in referrals to agencies such as Community Care Access Centre, Caring for My COPD, Pharmacy for Medication Reconciliation, South Niagara Health and Wellness, and Niagara Region Public Health.
Referral to the Community Paramedic
Any resident in the Township of Wainfleet is eligible for the program.
A referral can be made by the resident themselves, their health care professional, a family member, another caregiver agency, or even a neighbour.
To make a new referral:
- Fill out the secure online form, or
- Download, print and fax the completed form to 905-704-4004, or
- Call the intake line at 905-704-4017
After the referral form is received, the individual will be contacted by the community paramedic or a registered nurse working within the Niagara Ambulance Communications Centre.
In a medical emergency, always call 9-1-1.
Call 905-984-5050 ext. 2858 for more information about the Niagara EMS Community Paramedic Program.