Fluoride Varnish Program
Fluoride varnish is a protective coating that is painted on children's teeth. It helps reduce cavities in children under the age of five if applied twice a year. It is quick and easy to apply and does not have a bad taste.
Importance of Fluoride Varnish
- Cavities are the single most common chronic disease in children
- Fluoride is not added into Niagara's drinking water
- Preventing problems before they happen is important
- Children should visit a dental professional by one year of age even if everything is fine with their teeth
- Cavities in baby teeth can cause pain and even prevent children from being able to eat, speak, sleep and learn properly. Cavities in baby teeth can also cause problems in adult teeth.
- Tooth decay rates among children two to four years are increasing
Fluoride Varnish is Safe
Fluoride varnish can be used on babies from the time they get their first tooth. It is commonly used worldwide in dental and medical practices.
Where to Get Fluoride Varnish Application in Niagara
Fluoride varnish may be offered free of charge at the following locations:
- Dental office
- Participating primary care offices such as physicians and pediatricians
- Niagara Region Public Health dental clinic
- Child Care Centre / Ontario Early Years Centre
For more information call the Dental Health Line at 905-688-8248 ext. 7399.
Let your dental professional know if fluoride varnish has recently been applied at any of the locations listed above. This allows the dental practice to space out your child's fluoride varnish applications to ensure maximum benefit.