Niagara's Housing and Homelessness Action Plan
2022 Community Update
Learn about the activities and outcomes of the Housing and Homelessness Action Plan
Niagara Region launched its 10-year Housing and Homelessness Action Plan in 2014. The plan was updated in 2019 after reviewing activities and accomplishments from 2014 to 2018.
The updated Housing and Homelessness Action Plan provides a strategy for addressing the issues of affordable housing and homelessness in Niagara from 2019 to 2023. It coordinates efforts to increase access to affordable housing, reduce homelessness, and end chronic homelessness in Niagara.
Vision and goals
The vision of the Housing and Homelessness Action Plan is that everyone in Niagara have a home.
- Goal 1: House people who do not have a home
- Goal 2: Help people to retain a home
- Goal 3: Increase housing options and opportunities for low- and medium-income households
- Goal 4: Build capacity and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the housing and homelessness system
Key areas of work
Niagara Region can only achieve the goals of the Housing and Homelessness Action Plan by collaborating with non-profit organizations, private sector, other levels of government, and citizens. The updated plan supports community leadership and collaboration through a task force and several working groups related to key areas of work.
Each working group is led by a senior leader from the community with relevant knowledge and expertise, and involves membership from a cross section of service providers and other partners. The working groups include:
- Assertive Street Outreach
- Housing-Focused Shelter
- Supported Transitional Housing
- Housing First and Home for Good
- Coordinated Access and By-Name List
- Lived Experience and Peer Support
- Homelessness Prevention and Diversion
- Housing Provider Advisory Committee
- Housing Affordability and Innovation
Staff from Niagara Region Community Services, Niagara Regional Housing and Planning and Development Services provide support for the working groups.
Homelessness Action Plan Advisor
Email Jeffrey Sinclair
905-980-6000 ext. 3814
Housing and Homelessness Action Plan
- Community Homelessness Report 2021-2022
- Housing and Homelessness Action Plan Update 2021
- Homelessness Services Report 2021
Activities related to Niagara’s 10-Year Housing and Homelessness Action Plan: