Suspensions for Students Without Complete Immunization Records (or Legal Exemption)
Students without an up-to-date immunization record may be suspended from school for a period up to 20 school days.
Required by Law
The Immunization of School Pupils Act ensures that children in Niagara are protected against vaccine preventable diseases.
One of the following is required for our files for each child attending school:
- An up-to-date immunization record
- A legal exemption (medical exemption, or a statement of conscience or religious belief)
Receiving a Suspension Letter
If an Order for Suspension from Attendance at School has been issued for your child it is because we do not have complete information on file for one of the following reasons:
- You have not reported your child's complete immunizations to Niagara Region Public Health.
- Call 905-688-8248 ext. 7425 to report this information so that we can update your child's file (have your child's yellow immunization record with you when you call)
- Your child is overdue for one or more immunizations.
- Contact your child's doctor/health care provider to obtain immunization records or to make an appointment to receive the required immunization(s).
- If you do not have a doctor/health care provider, you may book an appointment at a Public Health vaccination clinic by calling 905-688-8248 ext. 7425.
- Once you receive the information and/or your child receives his/her immunizations, call 905-688-8248 ext. 7425 to report this information (have your child's yellow Immunization Record with you when you call).
- You have chosen not to have your child vaccinated (for medical, religious or philosophical reasons) but have not provided us with a completed legal exemption form.
Call 905-688-8248 ext. 7425 for more information about immunization, the requirements and your options.