Head Lice Information for Schools
School staff can be proactive in tackling head lice.
- Provide head lice information in newsletters and at parent events. This can be provided by the school nurse.
- Have a staff person contact the caregiver if a child is found to have head lice
- Have a trained person or volunteer team available to check students for head lice when they return after head lice treatment
- Watch for symptoms of head lice
- Have a trained person check a student if head lice is suspected
- When head lice is found in the class, send home an alert note with classmates and encourage families to do a head lice check
- Talk to students about head lice and prevention
- Promote practices that prevent the spread of head lice, e.g. no sharing hats, combs or brushes
- Do your best to make a student with head lice feel comfortable and valued
Public Health Nurse's Role
- Educate and consult school staff, caregivers and students
- At principal's request, train volunteers to do head lice checks at the school
For more information:
Call Public Health at 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074 ext. 7379.