Teaching Tool - Vaping (Grade 4)
This lesson teaches students what electronic cigarettes are and the risks associated with their use.
- I will gain a clear understanding of what electronic cigarettes are and how they work
- I will be able to explain the risks of using electronic cigarettes
- I will learn strategies to refuse their use
Core knowledge content
Core knowledge content provides the teacher with the background information needed to prepare and teach this health class.
Ontario curriculum expectations
Grades 1-8: Health and Physical Education (2019)
- D2.3 demonstrate the ability to apply decision-making, assertiveness, and refusal skills to deal with pressures pertaining to alcohol use or other behaviours that could later lead to addiction. (Substance Use, Addictions, and Related Behaviours). This specific expectations is also connected to the social emotional learning expectation A1.4 Relationships. 1.6 Thinking.
- D3.3 identify personal and social factors (e.g., emotional, physical, mental, spiritual, cultural, legal, media, and peer influences) that can affect a person's decision to drink alcohol or use cannabis at different points in their life. (Substance Use, Addictions, and Related Behaviours). This specific expectations is also connected to the social emotional learning expectation A1.2 Coping, 1.6 Thinking.
Vaping presentation (essential)
This presentation introduces vaping, explains the different methods of vaping and the health effects.
Safe lungs, safe life posters
Students will be able to create posters by selecting or creating their own slogan for vaping prevention.
Mystery box activity
In this activity, the teacher will produce a box filled with various materials. Students will have to guess what the materials are, for the purpose of understanding the risk's associated with vapes and the ingredients in vapes.
- Conversation starter videos
- The impact of smoke and vaping on the body
- Know the risks: A youth guide to e-cigarettes
Visual arts - Ontario Arts Curriculum (2009): Safe lungs, safe life posters
- D1.3 use elements of design in art works to communicate ideas, messages and understandings