Teaching Tool - Seeking Support (Grade 5)
The purpose of these resources is to inform students about who to reach out to when seeking support for their mental health.
- I will learn the various ways I can seek support in my school or community
Core knowledge content
Core knowledge content provides the teacher with the background information needed to prepare and teach this health class.
Ontario curriculum expectations
Grades 1-8: Health and Physical Education (2019)
- D1.1 identifies trusted people and support services that can assist with injury prevention, emotional distress, emergencies, bullying, non-consensual photo sharing and other non-consensual behaviour, and abusive and violent situations. This specific expectation is also connected with the social emotional learning expectations A1.1 Emotions and 1.2 Coping.
- D2.6 demonstrates an understanding of their role, and the limits of their role, in helping others who may need mental health support. This specific expectation is also connected with the social emotional learning expectations A1.2 Coping, 1.4 Relationships and 1.5 Self.
- Seeking support: This resource provides a bulletin board activity where students can learn various ways to seek support.
- Reaching out: This resource contains important information that will guide students on reaching out and seeking support. This resource can be a great conversation starter for students.
- Stop the worry: In this lesson, students can complete an activity that encourages them to make a list of potential worries, and who they can reach out to for support to help them cope with these worries.
- Mental health resources in schools: This online resource provides in-depth information about how to find school supports, specifically for students in Ontario. This information can be helpful for virtual presentations.
Reading - Ontario Language Curriculum (2006)
- 1.6 extend understanding of texts by connecting the ideas in them to their knowledge, experience and insights to other familiar texts, and the world around them
- 3.2 predict the meaning of and rapidly solve unfamiliar words using different types of cues