Teaching Tool - Oral Health (Grade 2)
These resources teach students the importance of oral health. They help students understand and apply practices in maintaining good oral health, such as brushing their teeth.
- I will gain an understanding of the importance of good oral health
- I will apply practices that contribute to good oral health
- I will learn how to properly brush my teeth with the proper instruments (i.e., toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and floss)
Ontario curriculum expectations
Grades 1-8: Health and Physical Education (2019)
- D2.4 demonstrate an understanding of and apply practices that contribute to the maintenance of good oral health. This specific expectation is also connected to the social-emotional learning expectations A1.3 Motivation and 1.5 Self.
- Care of teeth (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association): In this lesson, students will learn why it is important to take care of their mouth and teeth and the process of brushing their teeth.
- Glowing me, a growing me (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association): In this lesson, students will learn the stages of human development and important factors to help children and people grow and be healthy. Students will learn to appreciate how their bodies work and how to continue appreciating their body as they grow and change. They will also understand how their body and brain respond to uncomfortable situations and what they can do to feel better.
- Mouth and teeth (KidsHealth): This lesson will help students understand the importance of oral health, specifically caring for their teeth, tongue and gums.
- Oral health education resources for teachers and educators (Halton Region): This resource is for teachers to help students learn how to establish positive oral health habits. Refer to the grade-appropriate resources.
- Oral health supporting my overall health (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association): This lesson teaches students how to apply practices that help keep good oral health as part of taking care of the body.