Teaching Tool - Making Decisions about Sexual Health
This presentation teaches students how to apply what they have learned about healthy relationships and sexually transmitted infections to decision-making regarding sexual activity to promote sexual health.
Target audience: students in Grades 7
Length of core content presentation: 50 minutes
||Grades 1-8: Health and Physical Education (2015)
||C1.3, C1.5, C2.4, C3.3
In delivering this presentation, the teacher will:
- Create an environment in which students feel comfortable discussing sexual health
- Provide opportunities for students to think critically about decision-making relating to relationships and sexual activity to promote sexual health
By the end of this presentation, students will:
- Identify factors shaping decision-making about sexual activity
- Demonstrate knowledge of various strategies for promoting sexual health
- Demonstrate the ability to reason critically in making decisions about sexual health
Core Knowledge Content
Core knowledge content provides the teacher with the background information needed to prepare and teach this health class.
Making decisions about sexual health (essential)
: 50 minutes
- Cue the PowerPoint presentation
- Follow the prompts for the ice-breaker activity (driver's licence discussion) on slide 2
- Using the notes, deliver presentation and lead a discussion about decision-making for sexual health
- Have students complete the Abstinence worksheet using one of the options below:
- Distribute the worksheet to the students during the presentation (follow the prompts in the slideshow). Have students complete the worksheet individually during the presentation.
- Organize students into groups of 3-4 and allow them to complete the worksheet together following the presentation. Once students have completed the worksheet, have them share their answers in a whole class discussion.
- If desired, consult with the school health nurse to address difficult questions or to arrange a questions and answer session for the class with the nurse
: 20 minutes
- Open a brief whole class discussion to review healthy relationships and sexual health
- Inform students that in this activity they will be exploring some different scenarios and suggesting how those involved should proceed
- Pretend that you're watching one of these scenarios unfold and that you have the power to decide what happens next. What should the person do?
- Read a scenario aloud and invite the students to discuss their ideas. Consider using the following prompts for the discussion:
- What is the problem here?
- What might the outcomes be? Negative outcomes? Positive outcomes?
- What are some things the person should consider?
- Supplement and clarify information, using the Core Knowledge Content as needed
- Repeat with the remaining scenarios
- Allow students to discuss the scenarios in small groups
- Create a gallery walk
- Place a different scenario at a different station throughout the classroom
- Divide students into small groups, each beginning at a different station to discuss that station's scenario and their response
- After several minutes, have groups rotate to the next station and scenario
- Once groups have visited each station, have a brief whole class discussion in which students reflect on the activity and on the scenarios
- Optional: Include a blank sheet onto which groups record their responses at each station
- Quick review: whenever time permits (5-10 minutes), revisit one or two scenarios to discuss decision-making and responding to difficult situations
Consult Your School Health Nurse
Your school's public health nurse can help you prepare for delivering this presentation and can assist you in developing engaging projects and extension activities. To reach your school health nurse, contact email@example.com or 905-688-8248 ext. 7379.