Start a Concussion Policy
Concussions don't just affect professional athletes. They are particularly common among children and youth involved in sports.
There is a new standard emerging around the expectation of sport organizations - including minor sports - to have a concussion policy. Greater public awareness of the seriousness of concussions in young athletes/students will demand more accountability from minor sport organizations.
Considerations for your Concussion Policy
- Is your minor sport organization developing awareness of the seriousness of concussions? If so, how?
- Is your minor sport organization educating players, parents, and coaches/team officials on concussion prevention, identification and management? If so, how?
- Is there regular concussion training for coaches/teams officials? Is this training mandatory?
Removal from Play
- What is your team policy for a player suspected of having a concussion?
- Does your organization adopt a "when in doubt, sit them out" approach?
Return to Play
- What is your team policy about return to play?
Support for Minor Sport Organizations
These resources will help you develop a concussion policy: