Working at Niagara Region
It's More Than Government
It's an opportunity to be a part of something that impacts where we live, work and play
Join our team
With over 3,600 employees, 100 work locations, and 435,000 residents, some of our responsibilities include:
- Land use planning
- Transportation (roads)
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Waste collection and management
- Emergency medical services
- Public health
- Day cares
- Long-term care homes
- Provincial Offences Courts
- Community services programs, including homelessness
Niagara Region strives to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities of Niagara. Just as important as what we do, is how we do it.
Learn about our mission, vision and corporate values.
What Makes Niagara Region a Great Place to Work
As an employee, you'd be providing expertise and leadership that will help the corporation reach its goal of supporting and advancing the well-being of individuals, families and communities.
Recruiting and retaining talent
Niagara Region is committed to:
- Attracting and retaining a quality workforce
- Transparent and consistent recruitment and selection practices
- Hiring qualified and experienced people
- Promoting a culture of inclusion, including diversity, equity and accessibility
- Building a strong Niagara
We support career progression through:
- Extensive job opportunities
- Co-op and Student Internship programs
- Fostering partnerships with local educational facilities
- Acting assignments
- Cross corporation project participation
- Succession Planning
- Workforce Planning
Developing leaders and talent
Niagara Region recognizes the importance of investing in effective learning and development programs in order to:
- Enhance employee engagement
- Drive performance
- Encourage career progression
- Retain our people
- Foster a culture of innovation and customer service
We use a model for professional development that values learning through experiences, through others and in formal training courses.
We believe in professional development to support your success now and in your next opportunity. Professional development courses are open to all Niagara Region staff and include:
- Career development
- Business skills
- Leadership skills
- Computer courses
- Health, safety and wellness
Leader's Edge is a one year program supporting new leaders in their development designed to:
- Establish a network of peer leaders
- Build skills for managing individual and team performance
- Understand and leverage personal leadership style and impact
Educational funding and subsidies are available to employees of Niagara Region to support current and / or future career opportunities.
External Learning Partners
We work closely with Brock University's Goodman School of Business, Leadership Niagara, and Mohawk College to provide Niagara Region employees with unique learning opportunities.
We have a robust mentorship program that offers a longer term eight month mentorship experience and a shorter, one on one meeting based experience.
Fostering a healthy and well workplace
At Niagara Region, we practice and promote a holistic view of health, safety and wellness.
Supportive Leadership and Policies
Niagara Region recognizes that supportive leadership and policies are key to creating a culture:
- Of trust and respect
- Where staff are accountable and appreciated
- Of teamwork and supportive colleagues
- That is free from intimidation, harassment and bullying
Industry Leading Safety Programs
When it comes to employee health and safety, we are always striving to be the best. At Niagara Region employees can expect:
- A host of health and safety learning opportunities
- Leading edge safety equipment and devices
- An emphasis on psychological health and wellness
- Onsite ergonomic assessments
- An industry leading safety culture
Access to Health and Wellness Opportunities
We offer a competitive health benefit package as well as many health and wellness opportunities. Benefits and wellness opportunities under myHealth include:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Corporate Wellness Centre
- Wellness funds
- Discounted fitness memberships
- Employee and Family Assistance Program services
- Competitive benefit packages: health, dental, prescription drugs, extended health care, vision, hospital, travel, life insurance, sick leave and long term disability
Community involvement and social responsibility
Niagara Region employees have been giving back to their community through the United Way for over 30 years.
The payroll deduction program for United Way brings people and resources together to strengthen and enhance the quality of life for those in our community.
In total, Regional staff have donated $2 million over the past 30 years to support United Way.
Recognizing and rewarding employees
At Niagara Region, we believe in a culture that recognizes and rewards employees that consistently demonstrate character, competence and high performing characteristics in the spirit of One Team and our corporate values.
We offer a competitive package to reward our employees including:
We provide recognition programs to appreciate and encourage each other including:
- Employee Recognition Program "CERT" that recognizes length of service and encourages service excellence through Commissioner Awards
- Peer to peer recognition programs
We Work as ONE TEAM
Staff at Niagara Region practice a culture of working as ONE TEAM, ensuring that residents and municipalities are getting the best service possible. Watch the following video to learn more about the ONE TEAM philosophy.
Join Our Team
If you're interested in employment opportunities at Niagara Region, search our job postings and submit your application today.
Follow us on Twitter to get tweets on new job postings.