Job Posting #22975
Arborist II - Certified
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Perform all tree maintenance operations such as tree pruning, tree removal, tree planting, stump grinding, risk assessment and tree inventory Operate trucks over 11,000 kg.
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) with special attachments such as aerial device, crane truck and chipper trucks.
Operate various sized gas and hydraulic powered chainsaws, following Ministry of Labour rules and regulations.
Represent the Region in litigation cases as a Certified Arborist (expert witness).
- Completion of grade 12 plus
- Graduate of an Arboriculture or Urban Forestry program from a recognized post-secondary institution, (An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.)
- Must possess and maintain a Certificate of Qualification as a Certified Arborist (444A) with the Province of Ontario
- A Certificate of Qualification as a Utility Arborist (444B) with the Province of Ontario is strongly preferred
- Must possess a Certified Arborist designation with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)
- Must possess a Certified Tree Risk Assessor Qualification (TRAQ) with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) - or obtain within 6 months
- ISA Certified Tree Worker–Climber Specialist and or Aerial Lift Specialist certification is considered an asset
- Must possess and maintain a EUSA Certified Utility Arborist or IHSA Utility Line Clearing Proficiency Certification
- Must possess and maintain a 0-8 ton crane license
- Must possess and maintain a Chainsaw Operator’s certification
- Must possess and maintain valid Electrical Utility Safety Association (EUSA or IHSA) certificate for Hydraulic Aerial Equipment, Aerial Rescue and Hoisting and Rigging
- Must possess and maintain a valid certificate for WHIMIS, and First Aid & CPR
- Must possess and maintain chainsaw and chipper course certificate
- Must be familiar with basic principles of Book 7 – Ontario Traffic Manual, and have proof of training
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the Arboriculture industry is required.
- Experience is to include a minimum of 6 months climbing and 1 year of aerial lift operation.
- Proven practical Arboriculture experience in pruning, hazard tree removal, maintenance, tree planting, hazard tree risk assessment, site safety assessment, traffic control plans, roping and rigging techniques and tree species identification.
- A working knowledge of computer applications relevant to this position. i.e. Outlook, Excel, Word and GIS systems is required.
- Must be familiar with OHSA and how it applies to the work being performed.
- Must be familiar with utility locates and able to read/use in the field.
- Must be capable of Tree Risk Assessment following ISA standards.
- Must be proficient in aerial rescue (both aerial bucket evacuation and tree climbing techniques).
- Must be competent to work around energized conductors to IHSA and MOL Regulations
- Must have a mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to maintain and/or repair chainsaws and other small related equipment
- Must be competent in the safe operation of various sized chainsaws and an industrial wood\brush chipper.
- Must possess the ability to use GPS handheld devices
- Must be able to interpret blueprints, drawings, and operational manuals
- Must have excellent communication skills to communicate with the public, co-workers and when necessary, legal counsel.
- Working on a call-in basis for emergency work in sometimes extreme conditions (including weather and darkness)
- Must be capable to work at heights in various weather conditions
- Must be willing to take additional training as required
- Must possess and maintain a valid and unrestricted specified “DZ” driver’s license for the class of the vehicle operated.
Currently scheduled 40 hours per week, and may be required to work overtime (including weekends).
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs