Job Posting #22698
Transit Service Planning Analyst
Approximate Duration: 36 months
Important Notice and Amendments
Salary Pending Review
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Salary Pending Review
Reporting to the Transit Services Program Manager, the Analyst is responsible for monitoring new routes and route extensions, forecasting demand, planning transit services and ensuring adequate programs are in place to support Niagara Regional Transit (NRT) and Niagara Specialized Transit (NST) needs (conventional and specialized).
The role is also responsible for developing service proposals and administering transit service contracts.
- Diploma or Degree in Transportation Planning, Civil Engineering, Urban Studies, Business Administration or a related field of study.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and qualifications may be considered.
- Contract management certificate/ specialization is an asset.
- Additional courses related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the following areas: transit or transportation planning, statistical data analysis & comprehensive program evaluation and contract preparation & monitoring/administration.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation (e.g. Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act).
- Related professional designation (e.g. CET).
- Knowledge of project/program management methodologies, techniques, applications and best practices.
1. Contract Administration & Compliance Lead/participate in the preparation, maintenance and revision of operating service contracts with service providers. Assist with the procurement process for transit service contracts defining service requirements, developing scope of service and budget & participating in the tendering process. Assist in ensuring service providers are performing work in accordance compliance with contract specifications, Niagara Region’s program policies and any regulatory and/or legislative requirements. Monitor performance of contracted service providers monitor expenditures, costs and productivity within the contract, to meet pre-established standards and take/recommend corrective action when necessary. Prepare monthly progress reports for Manager, bringing to attention all deficiencies, delays, and contract amendments. Escalate contentious contractual issues to Manager, as required. Lead and participate in field system monitoring, data collection/analysis update and maintain database information, analyze data. Prepare and/or assist in the preparation of memos, reports, and recommendations regarding NRT & NST policies and procedures and new areas to be serviced. Collaborate with key stakeholders in supporting contract administration continuous improvement initiatives. Maintain positive relationships with local municipal transit operators and other stakeholders. Acts as Regional representative to the Public, Operators and Agencies.
2. Short and Long Term Transit Service Planning Functions for NRT & NST Participate in complex analysis, evaluate and report on recommended changes to programs/services. Monitor new routes and route extensions for financial and operational viability. Conduct research to determine availability of resources for funding current or new programs/services. Work with financial staff to develop cost estimates and budget projections. Coordinate changes to route schedules, in consultation local area municipal transit operations staff. Analyze and forecast transit demand to assist in long-term planning, development of new transit routes, and extensions of existing routes. Coordinates and participates in the preparation of transit system performance documents. Communicate with local area municipal transit operations staff to ensure operational feasibility. Contribute to the development of annual and long-term transit service plans, to address both current and projected demand. Assist in the development and administration of transit related agreements and contracts, including invoicing and payments. Assist with the budget planning process, including cost/revenue estimates and service prioritization.
3. Research and Data Management Functions Monitor and assess system performance, through the collection and analysis of statistics and measures. Conduct research and analysis of field investigations, economic, population, employment data, public opinion surveys, ridership data (i.e. passenger loads, on-off, revenues), demographic studies, and other applicable research and statistics. Maintain and update ridership and other transit data trends to support long term planning and system performance reviews. Review and evaluate studies (e.g. environmental impact statements, construction projects, etc.) to determine transit compatibility. Produce weekly, monthly and annual system statistics. Analyse farebox data system for accuracy and audit purposes. Use statistical methods to ensure validity of results. Evaluate information to determine feasibility of proposals and/or identify factors requiring amendment. Assist with the annual fare rate review including research and analysis. Assist with the preparation of Requests for Proposals for transit related initiatives.
4. Provide support to the Division as required for Transit related programs/ activities Prepare materials for presentations and communication as needed. Undertake internet/web searches to ensure Transit information is current, relevant and accurate. Monitor the Transit customer issue tracking system for trends, areas for improvement and operator compliance. Develop procedures and guideline documents for review and consideration. Provide input to new and revised policies, procedures, reports and manuals, as required.
5. Engage the public, staff and stakeholders to inform, and gather input/data to enhance and improve, transit services Support the implementation of Transit-supportive communications plans. In collaboration with key stakeholders author content for internal and external materials, such as memo’s and reports for Working Groups, Advisory Committees, Standing Committees, Council, stakeholder meetings and internal/external webpages. Develop and implement feedback surveys on various programs and services. Plan and implement special events such as, open houses and consultations. Assist in undertaking public outreach and education programs, along with key stakeholders. Research, develop and prepare material for public presentations and meetings, including PowerPoint presentations, data sheets, questionnaires, display boards and graphics. Prepare for meetings, specific notices or bulletins, public information sessions and displays. Research, create and deliver presentations to internal and external stakeholders. Supports Niagara Region in submissions to the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) and/or the Ontario Public Transit Association (OPTA).
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs