Job Posting #22390
Supervisor Building Services
Approximate Duration: 4 years
Important Notice and Amendments
Salary Pending Review
Reporting to the Building Services Manager,
the Supervisor Building Services is responsible for the management, administration and provision of support to the operations and maintenance of physical assets across all long-term care homes and for the emergency preparedness system across all sites in line with legislative requirements and Niagara Region standards.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Facilities Management (Building Environmental Systems Facility Manager) or Building Environmental Systems Operator Class 1 and Class 2 or equivalent
- Additional training in team building and leadership.
- At least 4 years of experience relating to maintenance or engineering in an institutional setting.
- At least 2 years supervisory responsibilities.
- Building Management in a Long Term Care home is preferred
- Emergency planning experience in a similar setting is preferred
- Provincial certification in a skilled trade (electrical, gas fitters or HVAC).
- Recognized training in Emergency Measures.
- G1 Gas Certificate is preferred
1. Ensures effective building management, maintenance and quality processes, policies and practices are in place, implemented and adhered to. Implements policies and procedures relevant to Maintenance, as well as policies relating to Infection Control, Safety.
- Establishes and maintains a preventative maintenance program that is consistent across all homes, gathering data, outlining instructions for everyday use in the field and monitoring activities for compliance. Ensures the operation and maintenance of boilers, boiler room equipment heating systems, ventilating and other air handling equipment throughout the division.
- Ensures contracts are in place and schedule of maintenance, testing and inspections are completed for life safety systems in accordance with various Codes and Acts
- Manages contracted services, including life safety systems (fire alarm system, extinguisher systems, sprinkler system) grounds maintenance, and snow removal, preparing work specifications for contracts, selecting contractors, monitoring work and service quality, resolving disputes and ensuring compliance with the contracts.
- Provides input into the development of a conservation plan across all homes, assembling the resources and data to create a workable energy conservation plan for all homes in the Seniors Division, researching and implementing cost savings measures, and preparing reports.
- Provides technical support to user departments (i.e. Nursing, Dietary, Administration, Housekeeping, Laundry) on requested building and facilities recommendations and cost estimates.
- Develops and recommends performance standards, policies and procedures for the operation and maintenance of Seniors Division facilities and equipment.
- Gathers and collates data in the preparation of the Division's annual and ten year projected capital budget for the Building Services Manager.
- Manages the receiving of all department goods, ensuring payments for goods and services received.
2. Supervises staff, coordinating and planning work, providing work direction, assigning tasks and projects, determining methods and procedures to be used, monitoring quality of work, resolving problems and ensuring assigned results are achieved.
- Enables results with the organization's human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
- In conjunction with the Manager provides training and development, coaching and discipline when necessary, and manages staff recruitment.
- Ensures focus is service excellence, communication/transparency, innovation, and data integrity and work flow integration.
- Ensures staff has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
- Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
- Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other teams within their division and department
- Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, and maintained. This includes workplace inspections, monitoring, accident reporting and investigations, and ensuring any observed hazards or lapses in the functioning of OH&S processes, and other OH&S concerns are responded to promptly.
- Ensures all individuals under supervision have been informed of hazards and instructed on the necessary risk control and emergency response measures.
3. Manages relationships with external agencies, vendors, and contractors.
- Liaises with the Ontario Fire Marshal, and local Fire Prevention Officers to ensure emergency measures procedures are compliant and effective for use by Homes' staff and managers.
- Liaises with Ministry of Health's Compliance Advisor, attend and conduct Compliance audits and interviews.
- Participates and/or acts as Chairman at Home or SCD committee meetings
4. Manages all emergency measures activities for Seniors' Division facilities.
- Facilitates training of all staff ensuring objectives and conformity of the division is met.
- Ensures the inspection, testing and maintenance of the fire alarm systems, procedures and fire safety equipment (as per the Ontario Fire Code).
- Ensures the operation and maintenance of the emergency generator and all emergency systems.
- Manages the development and updating of the Division's Emergency Measures Manual, ensuring all aspects are properly implemented and tested.
- Establishes procedures and schedules for the testing of emergency plans for the division
- Responds to and provides assistance for emergency calls.
- Conducts audits of emergency measures in place, evaluating effectiveness and continued compliance with regulatory requirements.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a valid and unrestricted specified (DRIV-G) license for the class of the vehicle operated.
- Provides on call 24 hour, 7 day per week emergency service on an alternating rotation with the Manager, Building Services.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs