Job Posting #21900
Nutrition & Environmental Services Manager
Approximate Duration: 12 months
Important Notice and Amendments
Please note: We have two vacancies. One vacancy at The Meadows of Dorchester (Niagara Falls) and the other at The Woodlands of Sunset (Welland)
Reporting to the Administrator, the Nutrition and Environmental Manager is responsible for providing safe, resident focused, quality dietary, housekeeping, and laundry services in the Long Term Care Home to residents/clients while ensuring compliance with Ministry, legislative, and corporate expectations.
- Completed post-secondary degree or diploma program in Food Service and Nutrition Management, or completion of the Canadian Healthcare Association Food Service and Nutrition Management program, or a Registered Dietitian
- Updated Safe Food Handlers Certificate through Public Health.
- Member in good standing with CSNM (Canadian Society of Nutrition Manager)
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Healthcare Environmental Services
- Certification and member of OHHA member (Ontario Healthcare Housekeepers’ Association)
- Completion of technical courses related to institutional, housekeeping, and linen management is preferred
- At least 3 years of current related experience in a Long Term Care Home
- At least 3 years of current related experience in management.
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills is preferred.
- Knowledge of computer software applications, including word processing and spreadsheets, preferably Microsoft Office applications is preferred.
- Knowledge of electronic documentation software is preferred
- Knowledge of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Homes Act and Regulations Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Accreditation Process is preferred
- Knowledge of Food Premise Act is preferred
1. Manage the dietary, housekeeping, and laundry departments Oversees all dietary, housekeeping, and laundry department related issues Provides leadership to all areas of these departments in line with the divisional operations plan and strategic directions, Departmental and Corporate priorities, and the Council Business Plan. Supports the Continuous Quality Improvement Program of the Home by completing Inspection Protocols, indicators, annual program evaluations, balanced scorecard, and participating in Accreditation related activities. Identify areas for improvement and implement initiatives. Coordinates the ordering, inventory management, distribution, and appropriate and safe use of supplies and equipment for these departments. Chairs/attends various meetings as required Supervises the catering for special functions within the organization and for external agencies Meets and advises new residents of services offered, counseling residents on individual diets which do not require a registered dietitian expertise. Ensures the processing of all linen and personal clothing Ensures the buildings are clean and maintained Coordinates and implements the infection control program for the departments
2. Adherence to legislation/policies and procedures Ensures policies and procedures are established, implemented, revised, and adhered to for the dietary, housekeeping, and laundry department Develops and implements systems and processes that ensure these departments are compliant with all elements of the Long Term Care Act and other relevant legislation Maintains an active presence in the home to ensure the safety and quality of service provision, adherence to policies and procedures, and the effectiveness of systems and processes. Implements risk management related activities for these departments to optimize resident safety and mitigate risk related to training, physical plant, equipment, systems and processes, regulations and legislation. Ensures compliance in clinical documentation and care planning procedures and various applicable college standards (eg. College of Dietitians). Ensures that documentation of residents’ diets within the dietary department is accurate and up to date, and resident clinical records are updated. Involved in documenting within required time lines for MDS RAI coding, RAPS, and care planning.
3. Manages people resource planning for the division or operating unit, determining ideal organizational structures, identifying desirable role and skill mix requirements and ensuring ongoing work quality and deliverability of results.
- Enables results with the organization’s human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
- Directs and provides leadership for the activities and coaching of direct reports, providing work direction, setting priorities, assigning tasks/projects, determining methods and procedures to be used, resolving problems, ensuring results are achieved, and managing staff recruitment, performance, and skill development activities
- Ensures alignment and coordination of activity and quality of output between teams under their direction
- Ensures focus is service excellence, communication/transparency, innovation, and data integrity and work flow integration.
- Ensures staff has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
- Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
- Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other teams within their division and department
- Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, and maintained. This includes workplace inspections, monitoring, accident reporting and investigations, and ensuring any observed hazards or lapses in the functioning of OH&S processes, and other OH&S concerns are responded to promptly.
- Ensures all individuals under supervision have been informed of hazards and instructed on the necessary risk control and emergency response measures
4. Manages and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for which they are delegated authority ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial transparency and accountability, monitoring budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances, and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies.
- Administer and approve the acquisition of goods and services for their direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy.
5. Build Relationships Meets with residents, clients, and/or families to resolve concerns related to the dietary, housekeeping, and laundry departments Represents the Home in Provincial, Regional, and community planning forums or meetings Promotes the Home’s image in the community through various methods such as liaison with community organizations, public speaking. Oversees relationships in these departments to ensure all involved are working as “One Team”. Supports the other managers and Administrator in the Long Term Care Home as needed, in projects and initiatives aimed at improving resident care standards and the operation of the Home. In absence of the Programs Manager, provides management support in that department when required Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team and peer managers at the other seven Niagara Region Long Term Care Homes. As needed, provides meaningful work experiences for student placements. May be involved in evaluating performance. Manages various contracts related to these departments. Consults with professional staff and agencies to deliver the appropriate services to meet these department’s needs.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate for the vulnerable sector.
- This position requires the incumbent to undergo and pass a Tuberculosis screen as required by the corporation.
- This position must maintain the ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations, or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business travel.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs