Job Posting #21879
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Manager GIS Services, the GIS Analyst is responsible for providing technical and analytical support in the planning, implementation, on-going enhancement and utilization of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and applications associated with GIS Services for all Regional Departments, Agencies, Boards and Commissions (ABCs) and other shared service partners.
- Post-secondary degree in Geomatics, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science/Engineering or related field of study.Working knowledge of servers, operating systems, personal computers, networking, internet technologies and emerging technologies.
- Post-graduate diploma in Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Minimum 5 years progressive experience supporting GIS, preferably within the public sector.
- Working knowledge of servers, operating systems, personal computers, networking, internet technologies and emerging technologies.
- Skilled in GIS map production, working with geoprocessing models, topology, spatial analysis, spatial database design, spatial database standards, systems integration and associated software, specifically ESRI & Microsoft products.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Post-graduate certificate in Geographic Information Systems or Database Administration.
1. Performs all aspects of GIS activities associated with collecting/creating, managing, mapping, editing and analyzing spatial data.
- Manages data conversions, migrations, and processing using measures to enforce data integrity, developing methods, investigating anomalies and ensuring metadata and spatial data standards are maintained.
- Creates and updates geodatabase models.
- Creates linkages between business and GIS data, investigating and reporting discrepancies.
- Updates databases using GIS and non-spatial methods/tools and loads approved data into corporate geodatabase(s).
- Provides software support, training, evaluation, installation and updating for GIS and relational database applications.
- Provides systems, applications and geodatabase support for GIS customers in all Regional Departments, ABCs and for shared service partners.
- Performs quality assurance on GIS data and applications.
2. Ensures the technical development, access, deployment, programming, monitoring, and administrative support for the GIS and related applications.
- Undertakes GIS application development using appropriate programming language(s), with corresponding comprehensive application documentation.
- Identifies when existing practices in business and operational processes in the corporation are no longer sufficient or productive and offers creative solutions, based on statistical analyses and evaluations.
- Investigates options within the current application portfolio for improvement.
- Undertakes geospatial analysis in support of Regional initiatives and corporate business intelligence.
- Designs, tests, implements and documents strategies/scenarios for new systems/applications/modules to be developed.
- Investigates, recommends, implements and supports new technology as applicable to supporting Regional initiatives.
3. Acts as a project leader and Subject Matter Expert. Provides direction and guidance on the use of GIS applications and analyses for process improvements, decision–support, usability and accessibility.
- Identifies user requirements, conducts analyses and develops designs based on needs assessments and the specifications defined in conjunction with the end user.
- Organizes and coordinates work of project team members, advising, instructing and training staff as required.
- Provides timely communication and act as the ongoing liaison with customers, supervisors, Regional technical support groups, vendors, consultants and other public or private sector agencies
- Coordinates third party activities, ensuring standards, policies and procedures are followed, monitoring compliance with requirements set out under the contract, maintaining records and providing reports on progress and issues.
- Investigates business problems, analyzing optional solutions and creating recommendations.
4. Assists in the preparation of presentation and technical materials for public/internal meetings, training, conferences and other venues.
- Participates in hardware reviews, evaluations, specification writing, selection, implementation and technical support for GIS purposes in all Regional Departments, ABC’s and for shared service partners.
- Produces documentation on GIS applications and operating procedures for internal and external users, 3rd party service providers and consultants.
- Assists in the development of training materials for horizontal and vertical applications, development and review of documentation for quality control as workflow processes are automated by GIS Services.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
- May be required to support emergency operations under the incident management structure, at the direction of the Emergency Operations Centre Director.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs