Job Posting #21873
IT Security Specialist
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
The IT Security Specialist is responsible for supporting the Information Technology (IT) team in protecting computer assets by establishing and enforcing system access controls and maintaining disaster preparedness.
The role will support the IT Security Architect in daily tasks, which includes, but is not limited to prioritizing changing incidents, investigating and troubleshooting, and maintaining access by providing information, resources and technical support where required.
Ensuring that authorized access protocols are in place by investigating improper access, and reporting violations through concise and comprehensive reports, including recommendations and remediation to any identified control weaknesses.
Provide strategic and technical recommendations following identification of vulnerabilities in operating systems, applications, and network infrastructure.
Participate as a subject matter expert in cyber security incident and breach investigations and post-breach remediation work.
Be an advocate of security awareness, and incorporate cyber security best practices through education, and into their daily work regimen.
Methodically and strategically conduct system audits to verify compliance with all Niagara Region adopted processes, policies, and standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8 years' experience in Information Systems and Technology in a medium to large sized data center and network security and design environment relating to:
1) Microsoft products, such as Windows Operating Systems, Messaging and Collaboration, Office Productivity Suites, Security Product Suites
2) Network appliances and technologies i.e. CISCO,
3) VMWare Virtual Infrastructure such as ESXi, ESX, and VDI,
4) Enterprise wireless products such as Aruba controllers, Access Points and monitoring solutions, and
5) Enterprise storage and SaaS solutions (Fibre attached SAN's & Office 365).
- 5 years' experience in disaster recovery planning.
- In-depth knowledge of data centers and networking environments, coupled business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
- 3 years project leadership or management experience is preferred.
- VoIP and PBX networked systems experience is preferred.
- Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP) and Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certifications.
- Certified Business Continuity Planner (CBCP) or Associate Disaster Recovery Planner accreditation.
- MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) designation.
Project management certification (i.e. PMP).
1. Network Design and Administration
- Maintains, sustains, and implements the regional data centers - primary data center and secondary disaster recovery site.
- Analyzes, designs, maintains and administers the network infrastructure and application components.
- Provides direction, information, and recommendations regarding network configurations and installations. Design and assist with the setup of Firewalls, VLAN's and VLAN stretching, VPN's, and various Security appliances.
- Maintains the local and wide area networks, remote access technologies, backend enterprise storage and SAN connectivity.
- Accountable for the network design and sustainment of the internal and public facing presence of the Niagara Regions IT infrastructure.
- Tier 3 level support for the operability and high availability of regional IT infrastructure 24x7x365 &ndash of all network related services and applications.
- Conducts research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of contingency planning and development efforts and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
2. Security Design & Administration
- Defines security frameworks for existing and new systems which include developing, implementing, maintaining policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures.
- Designs and maintains the network core switch and firewall rules and security logs.
- Monitors IDS/IPS network security logs for intrusion detection.
- Perform risk assessments, and prepare action plans to assure a secure information environment for existing and new applications.
- Actively recommends changes to establish methods and procedures, suggests alternative solutions and new methods to improve quality and increase productivity.
- Works with IT team to design, co-ordinate, and direct activities to implement and maintain a network security infrastructure including wired and wireless systems and handheld mobiles, against internal and external intrusion threats.
- Implements security services (firewalling, NBD - network boundary devices), identity and access management products, anti-virus, anti-spam, trusted time sources, content management, file integrity tools, audit and IDS products, and encryption tools
3. Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity &ndash Design and Solutioning
- Ensures the availability of all critical corporate infrastructure technologies and highly sensitive data such as Financial Systems, Microsoft Messaging, mobile device management services and all externally public facing systems hosted at and for the Region.
- Develops architectural design and implementation of complex enterprise disaster recovery plans in accordance with established recovery time objectives and recovery point objectives.
- Identifies vulnerable areas within the Region's critical infrastructure functionalities and provide/execute on those recommendations.
- Assists with the implementation disaster avoidance and business impact reduction strategies.
- Directs and coordinate staff and other departmental key staff for testing of disaster recovery strategies.
4. IT Infrastructure Strategy & Design
- Provides planning and direction for data center and disaster recovery sites, including: wide area network, server infrastructure, storage, backup, disaster recovery and security.
- Evaluates existing conditions determines or identifies technical requirements, evaluates alternatives.
- Assists in the development of business case proposals for IT Infrastructure initiatives in conjunction with input by other IT peers and departments.
- Assists with the development of long-term strategies to ensure timeliness, compatibility, and integration with overall IT back-end infrastructure ensuring software compatibility and sustainability.
- Periodically contributes to the review and revision of the Corporate IT Infrastructure plan, with input from departmental stakeholders and senior management.
- Technical lead and participates in committees and work groups across areas and departments to address specific projects and issues.
5. Shared Services
- Recognizes and promotes opportunities to offer viable IT services under a shared services model to Regional agencies, boards and commissions.
- Participates in service review and Service Level Agreements for the provision of related shared services (i.e. data center co-location).
- Provides strategic counsel to internal staff and shared service partners on technical related issues, with regard to IaaS (infrastructure as a service), SaaS (software as a service) and other cloud technologies.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs