Job Posting #21559
Manager Internal Audit
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Internal Control and Organizational Performance, the Manager Internal Audit is responsible for providing leadership, strategic planning, direction, and effective management of all internal audit functions.
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Public Administration, Accounting, Finance or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience (required).
- Masters degree in relevant discipline (preferred).
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in auditing, internal control systems, audits and project management (required).
- 5-8 years of experience in a related supervisory or management position (required)
- Government sector auditing experience (preferred)
- Professional qualification in a related discipline such as auditing, compliance, finance and/or related discipline, e.g. CIA, CGAP, CPA (preferred).
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable government/municipal legislation & regulations.
- Other professional qualifications including: CRMA, CISA
- Leads an Internal Auditing team for Regional operations, activities and services, including operational, performance, compliance and specialized audits, reviews and risk assessments (e.g. Value-for-Money, Compliance, Financial, Operational, Process, Service Reviews, Special Purpose etc.)
- Designs and leads the creation of the Annual Audit Plan with consultation from Corporate Leadership Team (CLT), Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), Audit Committee and/or Council members. Presents and defends the Annual Audit Plan to Audit Committee.
- Communicates audit findings and recommendations directly to department/division heads, Corporate Leadership Team (CLT), Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), Audit Committee and/or Council.
- Serves as liaison with the Chair of the Audit Committee.
- Assesses existing audit programs and develops, implements and maintains the Region's audit policies and procedures to align with changes and trends related to the legislation, best practices and the industry/field.
- Ensures overall compliance with Niagara Region Internal Audit Policies and IIA Practices of Professional Standards in the execution of assurance and compliance auditing/testing
- Develops, implements, and oversees sound internal audit and control policies and metrics
- Manages the ongoing maintenance of auditing policies and procedures and communicate updates accordingly
- Facilitates the development of strategic and operational plans, developing strategies to address risks and mitigation for Senior Leadership Teams.
- Identifies opportunities to mitigate risk and implement plans to strengthen the existing control environment and strives to achieve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Authors, reviews and analyzes reporting information and metrics for the identification of trends and compliance issues.
- Evaluates areas audited for quality, efficiency/economy, effectiveness, risk of financial loss, legal exposure, public reputation impacts and/or potential impacts/disruption to service.
- Ensures high-risk matters are immediately escalated to the Executive Director, ICOP for awareness and direction.
- Works closely with business partners to ensure the Region's internal audit framework effectively addresses and mitigates risks.
- Undertakes special projects, reviews and investigations across the Region as directed by Executive Director, ICOP
- Monitors external resources to remain abreast of changing regulations and assess risks and exposures to Niagara Region, working to mitigate or eliminate those risks.
- Lead and oversee solution development within the internal audit team:
- Leads and/or participates in special projects as required, managing project deliverables, timelines, budgetary issues and logistics
- Strategizes and consults within the team and with senior leaders on issues, potential solutions and best practices and develop recommendations to be applied in both financial reporting and business processes.
- Leads and/or facilitates problem solving for Regional departments, programs and services on value for money reviews, operational, compliance and risk issues.
- Oversees the analysis of the merits of solutions considering cost/benefit, time/effort to implement and resource limitations.
- Develops actionable recommendations for implementation of improvement opportunities.
- Ensures best practices and methodologies that will drive process to objectives with efficiency and quality are implemented
- Works as a subject matter expert to support work teams, committees and/or project teams (e.g. Audit Committee, Alternative Service Delivery Task Forces, etc.)
- Manages strategic post-audit metrics and reporting to assess the impact of recommendations and ensures compliance implementation to agreed upon recommendations.
- Oversees consistency in generic and custom metric/dashboard reports
- Oversees variance analysis and reporting to demonstrate performance levels and facilitate corrective action.
- Oversees and/or develop status/information reports for senior management
- Reviews and/or prepares reports relating to internal auditing in a format that is audience-appropriate (public, corporate, community, etc.).
- Oversees the implementation status of recommendations contained in various audit reports.
- Oversees all aspects of the development and implementation of project life cycle activities performed by the members of this team.
- Defines project scope, goals, success criteria and deliverables in collaboration with project team and key internal/external stakeholders.
- Oversees the planning and scheduling of project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Oversees the monitoring and tracking of project costs, schedules, resources, risks, issues, and performance to ensure the optimal success of the audit team
- May be required to act as project manager for audits and risk assessments performed by external consultants and/or 3rd party entities etc.
- Contributes to people resource planning for the operating unit, determining ideal organizational structures, identifying desirable role and skill mix requirements. Ensures ongoing work quality and deliverability of results.
- Enables results with the organization's human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
- Directs and provides leadership for the activities and coaching of direct reports, providing work direction, setting priorities, assigning tasks/projects, determining methods and procedures to be used, resolving problems, ensuring results are achieved, and managing staff recruitment, performance, and skill development activities
- Ensures alignment and coordination of activity and quality of output between teams under their direction
- Ensures focus is service excellence, communication/transparency, innovation, and data integrity and workflow integration.
- Ensures staff has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
- Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
- Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other teams within their division and department
- Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, and maintained. This includes workplace inspections, monitoring, accident reporting and investigations, and ensuring any observed hazards or lapses in the functioning of OH&S processes, and other OH&S concerns are responded to promptly.
- Ensures all individuals under supervision have been informed of hazards and instructed on the necessary risk control and emergency response measures
- Contributes to the development, management, and administration of the annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the operating unit ensuring support of Council's objectives, financial transparency and accountability, monitoring budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances, and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies. Ensures goods and services are acquired in accordance with the procurement policy. Authorize, and administer the acquisition of goods and services for the operating unit and direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy and procedures
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs