Job Posting #19574
GIS Data Analyst
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Manager, GIS Services, the GIS Data Analyst provides technical and administrative support in the maintenance, dissemination and ongoing enhancement of base mapping and data to support 911 Operations and Emergency Response in Niagara.
- Post-secondary degree or College diploma in Geographic Information Systems or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with GIS data creation, editing and maintenance in an ESRI environment.
- Experience with information sources relevant to base mapping maintenance such as Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, Teranet etc.
- Understanding of addressing and street-naming processes
- Experience with addressing and street naming within Niagara preferred.
- Knowledge of ESRI GIS tools and utilities for data creation, maintenance, and conversion.
- Knowledge of ArcSDE Enterprise Geodatabase environments and the Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Excel and MS Access.
- Strong interpersonal skills to act as the key liaison between stakeholders
- Ability to manage customer and public expectations in a positive manner
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Creates and/or maintains all data and base mapping (GIS layers) to support the Corporation, 911 and Emergency Response Operations in Niagara, including (but not limited to) single-line road network, addressing points/ranges, routing network, and emergency service zones.
- Undertakes analysis and adjustment of GIS layers and Emergency Service Zone Mapping to facilitate the implementation and sustainability of full 911 PERS.
- Conducts on-going tracking, updates, corrections, testing and Quality Assurance/Quality Control of 911data and Corporate mapping layers.
Establishes and undertakes processes/procedures for ensuring the quality and accuracy of 911 data and base mapping.
- Works with internal and external teams to implement and monitor Quality Control Projects related to 911 data.
- Investigates road and address data discrepancies with appropriate jurisdictions on behalf of 911stakeholder agencies.
- Communicates findings to 911 stakeholders and update relevant datasets accordingly.
- Provides technical guidance and support to internal and external staff as required to ensure compliance with current and future 911 standards.
Provides service to customers requesting aerial photography, mapping and other spatial data maintained by Niagara Region.
- Provides base mapping and data updates to 911 stakeholder agencies including Bell, NRPS, Niagara EMS and Municipal Fire Dispatch.
- Undertakes required data conversion and packaging for delivery to 911 stakeholder agencies.
- Prepares necessary data license agreements, processes payment for spatial data requests and provides reports to manager on product sales.
- Responsible for completing, maintaining, updating all records associated with the dissemination of data to both internal and external customers and ensures deliveries are conducted in accordance with established standards, policies, procedures and service level agreements.
Participates in and provides technical/analytical support to working groups and committees related to 911 and Emergency Response as required (e.g. 911 Advisory Committee, 911 Data and Process Improvement Working Group).
Identifies and evaluates new technologies and automation related to data maintenance and dissemination, 911 and dispatch operations.
- Identifies opportunities to optimize processes around maintenance, delivery, reconciliation and Quality Assurance/Quality Control of base mapping and 911 data.
- Researches and develops standards for 911 spatial data and mapping, investigating and making recommendations regarding standards for 911 spatial data and base-mapping, civic address and road-naming conventions.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs