Job Posting #19470
Public Health Communications Consultant
Important Notice and Amendments
Please note that this position is currently under review.
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Associate Director Organizational & Foundational Standards, the Communications Specialist is responsible for enhancing departmental objectives by providing strategic communications counsel and tactical support to internal clients.
- Post-secondary diploma, degree or equivalent in communications, public relations, journalism, health sciences or related discipline.
- 5 or more years professional experience in issues management, internal communications, public relations, public affairs/relations, social marketing, community consultation and media relations.
- 5 or more years experience in public relations, communications, social marketing, mass communications, community mobilization and media relations in a health care setting
- Experience in a public health or health care environment.
- Work experience in large, complex organizations preferred.
- Knowledge of project management, social marketing, communications marketing, health communications, issues management and public relations theory, special events planning and speech writing, crisis communications and risk communications.
- In-depth knowledge of communications technologies and practices, social media, web and multi-media approaches.
- Professional accreditation in Public Relations or other communications-based professional organization preferred.
Provides advice and counsel to clients on matters of reputation, internal communication, health hazards, outbreak management, public affairs and media relations from a strategic point of view with the goals of enhancing or protecting corporate reputation.
- Formulates and implements strategic communications plans to support the Corporation in building effective relationships with its internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Identifies and implements ongoing and issue-specific internal communications vehicles for Public Health to ensure that department and corporate strategic goals are being met through an educated and informed workforce.
- Anticipates potentially contentious issues that could face the Corporation or Public Health and advises on best methods of proactively and positively addressing them.
- Monitors trends, issues and legislation that affect Public Health or its stakeholders and recommends approaches or responses to address issues identified.
- Researches and prepares communiqués on behalf of Medical Officer of Health/Commissioner, Associate Medical Officers of Health, Directors or the CAO, to regional councilors, Regional Chair, and the Corporate Leadership Team on potentially contentious or sensitive issues to ensure positive outcomes and accurate information sharing with external stakeholders
- Researches, analyzes, plans, develops and implements communications plans and strategies designed to assist Public Health in building positive relations with the public.
- Ensures ongoing communications and effective relationships with the Associate Director, Corporate Communications and corporate communications team.
- Plans, organizes and arranges special events, projects and programs requiring the collaboration of a variety of internal resources, ensuring that proper protocols are addressed and used.
Lead media relations for Public Health to align with council business plan, and corporate policies and protocols
- Conducts media relations activities for Public Health, including preparing media products, organizing media conferences, and identifying and encouraging opportunities for positive media coverage.
- Initiates and maintains contact with the media by monitoring news media, reviewing and analyzing media coverage and maintaining media contact list.
- Develop media training curriculum and provide to all public health spokespeople. Work closely with municipal, provincial or federal communication counterparts to deliver joint announcements at media events or special events that involve or impact the Niagara Region.
Provides advice and counsel on public consultation, web-based communications, social marketing, business literacy or other such area that may be appropriate.
- Maintains external web site information for client department, working closely with regional webmaster and department and corporate communications staff, writing for the web, editing and/or vetting information provided by staff for uploading.
- Monitor and post on social media accounts using effective social media strategies
- Assist program staff with the development and implementation of social media strategies that are issue or campaign-based
- Maintains SHERPA intranet site to enhance internal communications across departments, staff teams and the corporation, including writing for SHERPA, editing and/or vetting information provided by staff for uploading and identifying staff training opportunities to increase use and staff involvement.
Applies strategic risk and crisis communication principles to effectively communicate to stakeholders, partners and residents during a health hazard and/or outbreak
- Provides practical response to a crisis during activation of the Public Health Emergency Response Team or Crisis Communications Plan for Issues and Incidents, acting as a member of the response team, including media relations and stakeholder communications (i.e.: public notification, public meetings, web communication. etc.)
Assists in the development and maintenance of communication policies and procedures to ensure that the public relations services provided are delivered consistently to all clients.
- Maintains corporate identity standards as per Visual Identity Guidelines and meet graphics and design standards in consultation with Public Health and consultants/suppliers.
- An annual influenza vaccination is recommended.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs