Our careers site will be temporarily unavailable on Dec. 12 from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. due to system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Director of Development Planning, the Senior Planner is responsible for leading the pre-consultation and development application review processes with municipalities and developers reviewing, researching, analyzing, resolving conflict and preparing coordinated comments and reports on a wide range of more complex and politically sensitive development applications, projects and proposals in both urban and rural contexts.
Leads and supports a variety of corporate strategic initiatives to implement Council's Strategic Priorities.
Provides independent expert opinion evidence and testimony at tribunals, such as the Ontario Municipal Board.
1. Leads and manages the review of more complex and politically sensitive development applications and proposed plans and projects, including Planning Act applications, environmental assessments, secondary plans, community improvement plans, development incentive programs, regional and provincial policy, and infrastructure planning initiatives, analyzing to determine compliance with current Provincial and Regional policy, and providing defendable recommendations to Council while meeting the intent of the MOU, legislative timelines and those of the area municipalities.
2. Supervises the Development Planning customer/municipal facing team responsible for customer service to local municipalities, applicants and agencies on development application reviews, development engineering review and approvals.
3. Leads and coordinates projects related to preparing development standards and guidelines, developing project plans and conducting research.
4. As a member of the Senior Management Team Operations, contributes to the development of departmental goals, objectives and work program. Implements and measures departmental directions through team performance objectives and assignments. Acts in the absence of the Manager Development Planning. Reviews, comments and implements human resources policies. Acts as a conduit for information between SMT and front line staff.
5. Contributes to continuous improvement of processes and service delivery.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.