Job Posting #19356
Associate Director Wastewater Operations, Maintenance & Lab Services
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Director Water & Wastewater Services, the Associate Director is responsible for the execution and direction of all operations and core maintenance connected with Regional wastewater treatment plants, pump stations, CSO storage facilities, forcemains, and biosolids facilities, as well as all enforcement, environmental monitoring, laboratory services and all related appurtenances.
- Post-secondary degree in Engineering or Applied Science.
- 10 years experience in design, construction and\or operations and maintenance of wastewater treatment and collection systems with at least 5 years in a management capacity.
- Registration with OACETT as a Certified Engineering Technologist
- MOE Class IV Wastewater Treatment Certificate and MOE Class IV Wastewater Collection certificate preferred.
- Registration with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) as a P.Eng preferred.
1. Provides leadership and direction in execution and direction of all operations and core maintenance connected with Regional wastewater treatment plants and systems. Manages the Region’s wastewater treatment and collection systems to ensure legislative and regulatory compliance, and required documentation and reporting.
- Provides support in evaluating and implementing wastewater treatment and maintenance projects, systems and processes to achieve the most efficient, cost effective and high quality service delivery in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.
- Inspects facilities periodically to ensure that operational and maintenance standards, methods and procedures are appropriate and being met.
- Analyzes performance data regarding wastewater quality and quantity as well as treatment effectiveness and efficiencies, identifying deficiencies and deviations from expected values, and recommending actions, including prioritization, within the system for capital budget consideration considering both short and long term needs.
- Provides input to the design of wastewater facilities and appurtenances to be constructed by the area municipalities and/or developers, ensuring installations are completed in accordance with Regional requirements for eventual assumption by the Region.
- Provides input to longer-term divisional priorities, strategies and tactics, consolidating statistical and operational data and related commentary for wastewater systems for inclusion in the annual report.
- Comments on, processes and approves applications from local municipalities for service line and sewer connections to the Regional wastewater system.
2. Develops, manages and administers annual and multi-year Capital and Operating budgets for the division, ensuring support of Council’s objectives, financial transparency and accountability, budget adherence, identifying and explaining variances, and financial reporting is effectively managed in compliance with corporate financial policies.
- Authorize, and administer the acquisition of goods and services for the operating unit and direct reports in accordance with the procurement policy and procedures.
- Approves monthly wastewater billing for cost recovery from Local Area Municipalities
3. Develops, recommends and implements performance standards, methods and procedures for the operation, seeking optimization and continuous improvement.
- Ensures legislative and regulatory compliance of wastewater systems, Biosolids processing, laboratory services, environmental enforcement and overall reporting.
- Ensures uniform and standard practices throughout the section.
- Provides input for the Quality Assurance program, developing reporting procedures designed for continuous services and consistency with the established quality standards.
4. Manages people resource planning for the division or operating unit, determining ideal organizational structures, identifying desirable role and skill mix requirements and ensuring ongoing work quality and deliverability of results.
- Enables results with the organization’s human capital strategy to foster employee engagement.
- Directs and provides leadership for the activities and coaching of direct reports, providing work direction, setting priorities, assigning tasks/projects, determining methods and procedures to be used, resolving problems, ensuring results are achieved, and managing staff recruitment, performance, and skill development activities
- Ensures alignment and coordination of activity and quality of output between teams under their direction
- Ensures focus is service excellence, communication/transparency, innovation, and data integrity and work flow integration.
- Ensures staff has the information and resources to make successful plans and decisions.
- Ensures all people related issues, including recruitment, grievances and labour relations issues, are aligned to HR and Corporate standards and practices.
- Helps to break down barriers to employee success, ensuring collaboration and cooperation with other teams within their division and department
- Ensures Occupational Health & Safety policies, programs and practices are implemented, and maintained. This includes workplace inspections, monitoring, accident reporting and investigations, and ensuring any observed hazards or lapses in the functioning of OH&S processes, and other OH&S concerns are responded to promptly.
- Ensures all individuals under supervision have been informed of hazards and instructed on the necessary risk control and emergency response measures.
5. Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders, representing the Region on applicable technical and administrative committees.
- Collaborates with peer water operations, maintenance and engineering to foster teamwork and provide coordinated and efficient Water and Wastewater Services..
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a valid and restriction free driver’s license of appropriate class to carry out the duties of the job.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
« Other jobs