Code of Conduct for Members of Council
The Code of Conduct outlines the responsibilities and procedures to be followed and supports an excellent track record of ethical conduct and high integrity.
All members of Council shall observe the highest standard of ethical conduct and are expected to:
- Act honestly, independently, impartially, with discretion and without regard to self-interest
- Avoid any situation liable to give rise to a conflict of interest
- Be mindful of the importance of their duties and responsibilities
- Take into account the public character of their function
- Conduct themselves in a way that maintains and promotes the public’s trust in Niagara Region
- Serve their constituents in a conscientious and diligent manner
No member shall use the influence of office for any purpose other than the exercise of his or her official duties.
Residents and businesses can submit complaints against Regional Councillors for violations of Council's Code of Conduct.