Regional Chair's Youth Advisory Panel
Are you a teen who wants to make a difference in Niagara?
Then we want your passion, skill and talent to help build Niagara's future.
Do you care about where you live, work and play? We're looking for teens aged 13 to 19 to join the Regional Chair's Youth Advisory Panel.
As a panel member, you'll provide recommendations, advice and information to Council and staff on issues that affect Niagara teens.
During its first year, panel members provided input and advocated for Niagara youth on two major initiatives:
- Niagara's Official Plan
- Climate change
Their input will help shape the future direction of our community.
What you'll do
As a member of the advisory panel, you'll:
- Provide a fresh perspective on matters that affect you every day, such as the environment, public transportation, housing and homelessness, mental health and other issues that impact communities across Niagara
- Give advice on policies, programs and services that affect you and other young people in your community
- Identify gaps and barriers, and suggest ideas to increase participation in Regional programs and services
- Promote engagement in local government and explore issues of diversity and multiculturalism
- Review meeting materials before the meeting and complete assigned activities
- Participate in working groups, where needed, and work with panel members to identify projects for the future
- Attend six meetings, or more if needed
Membership and term
The panel is comprised of 12 teens with different backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints - one from each of the 12 municipalities in Niagara. One Regional Councillor serves as a volunteer on the panel.
Selected members will serve a one-year term, with an option to renew for a second year.
For more information, see the terms of reference.
Apply for the Youth Advisory Panel
If you're a teen who wants to make a difference in Niagara and are interested in building a better future, then we want to hear from you.
We're accepting applications for new panel members from:
- West Lincoln
Apply to the Regional Chair's Youth Advisory Panel and bring your voice to Niagara's future.
Video: Youth Concerns on Climate Change
In June 2022, panel members served as delegates at the first ever Niagara Climate Change Summit where they called upon community leaders to take action.