Brownfields Development Charge Reduction Program
Brownfields are vacant or abandoned lands where past industrial or commercial activity occurred that may need to be cleaned up before they can be restored or redeveloped.
We offer financial assistance to support brownfield redevelopment in Niagara. The development charge reduction program is for brownfield sites located within the urban boundaries as set out in Schedule D and supporting Schedules D1-11 of the Regional Development Charge By-law. The areas include:
- Douglas Town, Stevensville, Crystal Beach, Fort Erie
- Beamsville, Campden, Vineland, Jordan Station, Vineland South, Prudhommes, Jordan
- Niagara Falls
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Old Town, Virgil, Queenston, St. David's, Glendale
- Fenwick, Fonthill
- Port Colborne
- St. Catharines
- Thorold North, Thorold South
- Welland, Port Robinson
The program provides a reduction of regional development charges payable up to a maximum of eligible site remediation costs.
To be eligible for the reduction program, the following criteria must be met:
- An applicant must not have been the owner of the brownfield during operational activities of the land use which created the brownfield, nor have been found to be responsible for the subject contamination of the brownfield
- Sites must not be in a position of property tax arrears
- Sites must meet definition of a "brownfield" as set out in Regional By-law 2017-98
How to apply
Application should be made:
- Within 12 months of the commencement of Environmental Rehabilitation (or within 12 months of Sept. 1, 2017 for previous rehabilitation)
- In advance of any building permit application to allow for sufficient time for consideration and processing
To request an application package, email the development charges team.